The Follicle Online 1.0 provides the search option and advance options.
1. Search You can input keywords to search the Follicle Online 1.0 database. The search fields include FAL ID, UniProt Accession, Protein Names, Gene Names, Functional Stage and Functional Type.
Example: Please click on the Species field in the combo box to search "Mus musculus". By clicking on the "Submit" button, the related Follicle proteins will be shown.
2. Advance Four advance options are provided, including advance search, browse, BLAST search, orthologous search.
(1) Advance search: Advance search allows you to input up to three terms to find the information more specifically. The querying fields can be empty if fewer terms were needed. The three terms could be connected by the following operators:
and: the term following this operator has to be included in the specified field(s)
or: either the preceding or the following term to this operator should occur in the specified field(s)
exclude: If selected, the term following this operator must be not contained in the specified field(s)
Example: You can click on the "Example" button to load an instance, which could search "FAL000079" and "Mapk1" in mouse. The mouse Mapk1 (FAL000079) will be shown by clicking on the "Submit" button.
(2) Browse: You can browse the Follicle Online 1.0 database by species, functional stage and functional type. With the default setting, you can directly click on the "Submit" button to browse all the protein involved in follicle development.
(3) BLAST Search: BLAST search could be used to find the specific protein and/or related homologues by sequence alignment. This search-option will help you to find the querying protein accurately and quickly. Only one protein sequence in FASTA format is allowed per time. The E-value threshold could be user-defined. The BLAST results will be parsed and shown by clicking on the "Submit" button.
Example: You can click on the "Example" button to load the protein sequence of mouse LIM/homeobox protein Lhx8 . By clicking on the "Submit" button, you can find the related homologues in Follicle Online 1.0 database.
(4) Orthology Search: In Follicle Online 1.0 database, the pairwise orthologous information was computed with the InParanoid program (Remm M et al., 2001; Kevin P et al., 2005). Three operators are provided:
(a) Simple: You can input a specified uniport Accession that include in Follicle Online 1.0 database. The Identity, E-value and BLAST Score thresholds could be user-defined.
Example: You can click on the "Example" button to browse the P13600 (Ovis aries Beta-nerve growth factor) orthologous in Follicle Online 1.0 database.
(b) Advance: The pairwise orthologous information could also be viewed in details. The Score (bits), E-value, Identities and Positives from BLAST results are provided.
Example: You can click on the "Example" button to browse the Follicle proteins conserved between Homo spaines and Mus musculus.
3. Feedback Users are welcome to review Follicle records. You can revise the Follicle recrods or submit new proteins or protein with new function in Folliculogenesis or Folliculogenesis Disorder. We are grateful to you for your advice!